Saturday, March 2, 2013

WMW 13 - Womens Money Week

Starting on Monday March 4, 2013, I will be taking part in Womens Money Week 2013. A whole week dedicated to blogging about a pre-determined list of topics.

Last year,Womens Money Week compiled The Ultimate List of Women Money Bloggers and several of my favourite blogs were included. (Some of us had to email them to ask to be included.) I found new blogs that I love from this list also. I'm not sure if they will be updating the list this year, or even making a new one, but either way, there is a tonne of women money bloggers to read.

My own interest in personal finance started when we were at an all-time financial low as a family. We had a staggering amount of debt, and the income flow had decreased to a trickle. We were in a rough situation. Then, I happened across Gail Vaz - Oxlade's television show, 'Til Debt Do Us Part. It was an eye opener for me. I became a student of my own finances, soaking up information on money matters in any way that I could. I read books, read blogs, watched shows and slowly but surely, I started cleaning up the financial mess that we had made.

I am not perfect with finances now, nor will I ever be. But I have learned a lot of things in the last four years on my financial awakening journey. We have gotten our consumer debt under control, and we have money in savings for our future. We can now deal with the curve balls that life throws at us without going into crisis mode. I'm still learning and growing and look forward to getting to where we want to be.

This next week is going to be great, with bloggers from everywhere participating. I'm looking forward to reading some great posts, getting some new ideas, and maybe, just maybe, passing on a few ideas of my own.

7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to following your posts on this. Hoping all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like fun... Thanks for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonder list of Women Money Bloggers. There are some on the list that I follow already and tons of new to me blogs. Thank you so much for posting; I'll be following along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I meant to type "wonderful"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail has certainly been an inspiration to so many of us. Prior to discovering Gail I read a book called "The Wealthy Barber" (by yet another frugal Canadian!) and after reading it I was able to cobble together a down payment for my condo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very entertaining to read a sharing about your own life......great tip as well when it comes to handling one's finances

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, very interesting post thanks for sharing. Can I contact your through your email. Thanks!

    Randy
    randydavis387 at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete