Thursday, January 17, 2013

Frugal Cooking

Hubby came home from work today, not feeling so well. I think it may be the dreaded flu that's going around and kicking everyone in the butt! I don't really want to spend a whole lot of money these days (the CRA thing has got me terrified) so I thought I should be a good girl, and make something yummy for dinner.

Enter Club House Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup Starter. I have several of these in the cupboard that I bought on sale last month. I wish I could upload a picture of the package, or even find one online to show you, but alas, I cannot. Try googling it. It comes in a pretty blue package.

I had some leftover chicken breast in the fridge, so I chopped that up. I had to purchase some veggies for the soup, but I did manage to snag 2 celery bunches (heads? stalks? ribs? WTH is the correct terminology anyway?) for 99 cents on the reduced rack, and a package of baby carrots for another 99 cents. I also had to buy egg noodles which was on sale for $1.47. Between the celery, carrots and noodles, I should be able to get another 3 or 4 batches of soup out of what I have. :) I'll be chopping the remaining veg, cooked chicken thighs (I already had theses in the fridge) and putting one cup of each into freezer bags, so when I want to make more, I can just dump it, with the seasoning package and water,  into the crock pot and I'm set for the day.

Now, let's see if I'm any good at math:

~ package of chicken thighs (on sale) : $ 4.07
~ celery: $ 0.99
~ baby carrots: $ 0.99
~ onions (on hand)
~ egg noodles: $ 1.47
~ seasoning package: $ 1.25 each, so $ 3.75

$11.27 for three batches of Crock pot Chicken Noodle soup. Give or take. I had onions already and one cooked chicken breast, so add another $3 onto the total. About $15 for several meals.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

They also have a Vegetable Beef Soup Starter for the crock pot that I will be trying out sometime this month. I'd love to try lots of different kinds of recipes for my crock, but I live with some really picky eaters. I am on the hunt for good crock pot meal recipes, so if you have a favourite, please share with me.

Now if I could only find the Crock pot cooking liners in any store around here. Maybe I could get a friend from the US to send me a pack?

8 comments:

  1. We had a nice defrosted ham soup tonight! If you like I will check target and the market tomorrow for the liners. I have seen them but never used them. I would be happy two check for them. drop me an email twosmith423 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy!
      I think I may try beans with ham next.

      Delete
  2. popped over via Cindy's as I also live in Ontario. I made up a cook book for my kids for the slow cooker when they went to uni. It's on a word file, but if you want a copy please leave a comment with your email on my blog, I WILL NOT PUBLISH THE COMMENT and I can email it over to you.

    I am also your newest follower.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Gill. I look forward to getting some new recipes for the crock.

      Delete
  3. There are a lot of nasty bugs going around as usual these past few weeks, hope your hubby is better soon. I love shopping off the discount veggie rack for soups, stews or anything in good shape for 99 cents or less. Thanks for participating in the Ontario Blogger's Day. I hope you will find a moment or two to drop by to see everyone who also was "linked" up this day. "Just Me" xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do hope it is not the flu. A chicken soup will work. I eat a lot of sauerkraut this time of year I read that it wards off the flu. I have no idea if it is true but I scoop it into my soup and have never had the flu. Who knows:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope everyone is feeling better - chicken soup sounds excellent. It's cold & foggy here in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle area.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. check out stephanie O'Dea she went on a crock pot challenge for a year and posted all of her recipes.

    ReplyDelete