Friday, February 3, 2012

Declutter Challenge - Week One


The first weeks challenge is “Personal Space” says Carla. I opted to do the Hallway closet in our apartment. This closet has three doors, and runs almost the entire length of the hallway from family room to bathroom. There is a rod which runs the length of it, even though there is a wall inside that separates it by half. There is a shelf on both sides of this 'wall', and we have put as much storage stuff in there as possible.

I had to work today, so I thought this evening I would take pictures of it, and then get started.

I was thinking a lot today about Carla's Weekly Bonus Challenge. This weeks challenge is to donate at least one item of food to the food bank. While I was going through a year's worth of paperwork today, I was on autopilot and gave this some thought. I was thinking about how much I could afford to buy to donate, and what would be the most coveted item for the food bank. I went to the London and Area Food Bank website , and found this list of item that are needed.

Here’s a list of items that we currently need:
  • canned fish, meat, stew
  • peanut butter, jam
  • canned vegetables
  • rice, pasta (uncooked)
  • canned soup, canned fruit
  • macaroni & cheese dinner
  • canned juice, or individual boxes
  • baby food (large or small jars, cereals, cookies)
  • baby formula
  • powdered or canned milk
  • oatmeal, large packages or individual servings
  • individually packaged healthy snack foods
  • cake mixes, baking goods
You can drop these off at the collection bin of a London food store, or you can deliver them directly to the food bank.

In the spirit of this challenge, instead of donating to the food bank, I bought a few bags of groceries which included fresh fruit, vegetables, and milk and gave them directly to a family in need. I did this after work. Then I headed home.

When I walked in, much to my surprise, Hubby showed me what he did to occupy himself all afternoon. He had cleaned out, decluttered and reorganised the hallway closet! (Do I get points for this Carla, even if I didn't do it myself?) He'd thrown out several bags of garbage, and taken several items to the donation bin located in our laundry area in the basement. My declutter project is done and I finished my Bonus mini-challenge.

What am I going to do the rest of the week? I think I'll knit. :)

3 comments:

  1. Umm... If you managed to get hubby to do the work for you, you deserve bonus points!!! Hahaha!! Nice! :) I bought groceries for someone too! Great minds... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great hubby!! Mine is getting into the spirit of things too and cleaned out the fridge - it looks brand new again plus we now know everything that's in there! I agree with Carla - we should get BONUS points!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, better be carefull ladies will be trying to snatch your hubby up to help around the house, congrats on getting it all done

    ReplyDelete