Friday, December 23, 2011

Our Christmas Plan

Holidays get busier every year so it seems. It's a feat to organise and plan for the happiness and merriment but I guess that's what us Moms do. I have to orchestrate for the 4 of us in our home, plus the other 4 who live in DD1's house.

Christmas Eve: We will spend time in the evening with Hubby's family. DD2 will be going out of town with her Dad. Not sure yet if DD1 will accompany them or not. Arrange to pick or to have DD2 picked up before we go home.Then sometime around 11:00 p.m., we will be frantically trying to get all the gifts under/around the tree area and get the stockings stuffed.

Christmas Day: Wake up. Make coffee. Watch Cub's head spin off when he sees the tree lit up with all the presents under it. Convince DD2 that she can make it to everywhere she needs to be. Call DD1 to let them know we are coming. Get dressed, drive across town, pick up DD1, the bf, Grandcub and nephew and drive all the way back to our place. Open more gifts. Pack all family into two cars and drive 6 blocks to Gramma's house. Open more gifts. Have breakfast. Drive DD2 (and possibly DD1 and grandcub) another 4 blocks to ex's house.Go back to gramma's where dinner will be at some point that day. Also knowing that I am on call the whole holidays adds to my sense of excitement. At some point, drive DD1 and her crew over to the bfs sister's house ( and then possibly to take them home as well). Go home. Sleep like the dead.

Boxing Day: It's Hubby's birthday. The plan for this day is to sit around all day playing video games, napping, reading or whatever strikes our fancy. I think there may be some drinking involved for hubby. We will munch on whatever is in the house, with no real meals planned.

Following those days I will still have to plan some things for New Year's Day. As is tradition in my family, I will be making doughnuts and cookies, maybe some banana bread too, for guests to eat when they come to visit. This year I will be teaching a 3rd cousin of mine how to make her great-grandmother's recipe. My mother passed this recipe down, and apparently I am the only one who managed to keep it. So, I'm sharing it with any family member who wants it. :)

Grandcub's first birthday and big-gramma's 92nd birthday are the same day, which is also coming up on the 4th of January. By the time that is over, I figure I will be all celebrated out.

I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas. May your hearts and homes be filled with happiness and peace.

5 comments:

  1. mmmmm - I know where I'll be showing up New Years ;)

    Sounds like an action packed weekend! Please wish DH a happy birthday from the KW Gail Club. Everyone sends their Merry Christmas' and Happy New Years' as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a Very Merry Christmas Eboo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it sounds lovely, lots of time with family... our boxing day is much like yours, just eating leftovers and laying about.
    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you through Gail's blog which I JUST discovered tonight. Is your club still gathering. I am from St. Thomas and always interested in saving a few dollars being as I'm closer to 40 than 30 and really need a plan.

    daldak01 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete