Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Making a Money Guide

Sometime ago, I mentioned that one of the gifts I was making for my older daughter was a money book. I had the idea that maybe I could help her to find her way through her financial life with some advice, quips and money rules. What better way than to put them into a book? Considering she's actually mature enough to take advice from her 'rents, I want to give her some good ones.

I've been reading personal financial blogs for some time now, following Gail Vaz-Oxlade faithfully on the internet and watching her shows, and reading any and all personal finance books I can get my hands on. If I hear, or read a bit of advice that really strikes me as funny, or otherwise noteworthy, I make sure I write it down. This is the stuff that will go into her book.

My daughter is 21. She's been working since she was 18. She is employed full-time at a job she loves but has just left on maternity leave. She has just learned the basics of budgeting a.k.a. how I prepare a Spending Plan. (She groaned when I said budget, so I used a different name for it. She didn't know any different. Tee hee!)
I hoping to help her learn some good basics before the world decides to take a dump on her.

Most of today will be spent typing up the 'rules' in different colors and fonts to print out. Then I will be cutting them, and gluing them into the pages of a recycled paper notebook that I bought. There will be lots of room to add hand-written explanations or notes for each 'rule'. I'm going to try to add some pictures to it as well, if my printer ink lasts.

On a side note, it's the second snow day in a row that we've had here. We have gotten an incredible amount of snowfall in the last 48 hours or so. More is expected. Schools are closed, community centres are closed, and almost everything else has done the same. Last night, buses were pulled from their routes, and motorists were asked to stay off the roads. The mayor is considering calling a state of emergency. This is by far the largest accumulation of snowfall in a short period of time that the City of London has seen in a very long time. And there is no end in sight.

I mentioned yesterday that I wanted to hibernate, but this wasn't quite what I had in mind. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment