Friday, October 29, 2010

A Kindness to A Stranger

As my son and I were about to get in our car to come home after some shopping in the mall, I spied something out of the corner of my eye. Laying on the ground, between my car and another, was a bank card. I recognised the maroon colour of it, as I have two that look very similar. I know that it wasn't either of mine, as I just saw them safely tucked away in my wallet only moments before.

What would you have done? My little guy had been in a mood all morning, and needed to go home for his nap. But I remembered years ago when my purse had been stolen, some nice lady found it months after the theft, and returned what was left of it to me. Knowing what the right thing to do was for me, I locked my car, picked up the card and headed back into the mall, towing a cranky two year old with me.

I walked into the bank, and talked to the first person who caught my eye. I handed her the card, and told her I found it in the parking lot, and I knew it wasn't mine. She thanked me on behalf of the unknown customer, and the bank. She explained that if the card had not already been reported lost and cancelled, she could find out who it belonged to and return it. Perhaps the cards owner didn't even know yet that it was missing!

I fully believe that in doing this act, I set an example for my son, who doesn't yet know the difference between right and wrong, and that such a kindness will be coming back to me in another way. Believe me, after the day I had yesterday, I certainly feel that I need it!

Have a great Hallo-weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Your story reminds me of a few months ago when my son found a set of keys in the parking lot of the grocery store. He picked them up and I said we needed to get them into the store to the "customer service" desk so the owner of the keys might be able to get them back. Since he had found them, I had him line up and give the keys to the service lady and tell her where he found them. It delayed our departure from the store, but like you, I felt it was the right thing to do. I sure hope the owner of the bank card was able to get his/her card back. You did great, especially with a 2 yr old in tow.

    ReplyDelete